Sunday, November 27, 2005

Updates...Updates...Updates

Ok, before everyone gives me a hard time about updating I have a good excuse.

I FRIED my computer!

I was trying to connect a printer to my laptop and the printer was not grounded good enough. Well the printer got it's ground...right through my laptop. It fried my external hard drive, my powered usb hub, and of course the motherboard on my beloved laptop.

Now to back track. Before I left for deployment a good friend was nice enough to give me an older laptop. There was no hard drive, RAM, or power supply included with the laptop. I ordered all of that stuff and had Michelle mail it all off when it came in. I was lucky enough that it was in the mail about the same time that I fried the other computer. Now after much headache I have it up and running and it will soon become Michelle's school computer.

It has been a headache because the laptop is a Q-systems Ultra CY27. You may ask "what is a Q-systems Ultra CY27?" As you may have never heard of that brand, neither have I. That meant tearing the computer apart (several times over) and running many diagnostic tools to find out what hardware is installed inside of the computer. Usually when you purchase a new computer the manufacturer has installed all of the software for each piece of hardware. Not the case here and since each hardware takes a specific software driver to run it, I had to find out what it needed.

Michelle and I had decided to wait until I got home before purchasing a new computer for me but I guess that timetable has now moved up to a much closer date. She was kind enough to bear with me as I needed to order a new laptop and get it shipped here as soon as possible.

I want to thank everyone for all of the care packages that you have sent. All of the goodies have been GREAT! I have enjoyed everything that you guys have sent.

Well I guess I will bring this update to a close and until I get my new computer in I guess that this will be the last update until then.

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, 07 December, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Brian,
Jason told me about your cooking adventure on the computer. Arrrrrrrrr! Just a quick note to request something. Taylor needs a picture of you beside your chopper. Can you get us a new one?
Love you bud,
Carolyn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home